Tuesday, March 3, 2009

WHAT WOULD GOGGINS DO?

I would like to attempt or mimic this workout - as closely as possible - without dying from exhaustion. This being the legendary daily workout routine of insane Navy SEAL and ultramarathoner, David Goggins. Did I mention he was insane? Anyway, when I can barely run five miles, I try to think of this. Sometimes it actually helps and I push through...

Anyway, it was 13 degrees outside this morning and snow and ice are still on the ground. Although Goggins would still probably ride his bike, I decided not to - for fear of crashing and breaking my neck. As a matter of fact, I actually know someone that just recently broke their ankle by slipping on ice. IT'S DANGEROUS OUT THERE. The thing is, David lives in sunny California and doesn't really have to worry about inclement weather. I, however, do. I want to be a badass, but not at the risk of risking my own health.

I finished the Last Lecture on Sunday, so I started Eugene Mirman's The Will to Whatevs: A Guide to Modern Life. Shit is deep. Too deep. It's written in his non-sensical voice and it's hard to follow when you're on the train. I need a lighter fare while I'm sitting next to screaming babies and people that listen to their ipods WAY TOO LOUD. Although super hilarious, it's just one of those books where you have to read a sentence or paragraph more than once to get an understanding of what he's saying -- or trying to say. Like Tolstoy. Or Joyce. (I've read neither...for that exact reason.) Instead I started reading Rejected: Tales of the Failed, Dumped, and Canceled instead. It's writers from SNL, The Daily Show, Kids in Hall, etc. that have come together and share their stories of failed works that never made to air.

From the intro:

Rejection can and should be your ally. No matter what kind of work or art you do, no one can tell you that what you have is not good enough. Only YOU can say when you have failed. Each level of success opens up a whole new set of rejections and failures that we have to face. The cycle never ends, but we can find ways to adjust with each new experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment